SERUM VITAMIN D3 LEVELS IN PATIENTS WITH TELOGEN EFFLUVIUM IN DUHOK GOVERNORATE
Background: Telogen effluvium, a commonly reported problem, strictly affect the quality of life of the patients. Vitamin D stimulates differentiation of hair follicles. The association between serum vitamin D levels and telogen effluvium describe in several studies. The aim of study was to determine serum level of vitamin D in patients with telogen effluvium and analyze the relationship of altered serum total vitamin D levels with Telogen effluvium.
Methods: This study was conducted at dermatological department out-patient clinic of Azadi Teaching Hospital, Duhok city, Kurdistan Region-Iraq, during period from 20th of December 2021 to 20th of April 2022; in which 100 subjects included 50 cases with telogen effluvium and 50 healthy controls.
Results: The prevalence rate of vitamin D deficiency among patients with telogen effluvium was distributed as severe deficient 62%, insufficient 26%, and sufficient 12%. Mean ± SD of vitamin D was 6.93 ± 3.56 for patients compared with Mean ± SD 21.10 ± 11.88, (p-value <0.0001) for healthy control. Most cases were from urban areas and most controls were from rural areas, 66% versus 55.01 %( p=0.0346).
Conclusions: The patients with telogen effluvium in this study had significantly low levels of serum total vitamin D and higher prevalence rate of vitamin D deficiency when compared with healthy control.
2. Gilmore, Stephen; Sinclair, Rodney. Chronic telogen effluvium is due to a reduction in the variance of anagen duration. Australasian journal of dermatology, 2010, 51.3: 163-167.
3. Messenger, A. G. Disorders of hair. In Rook's, Rook's Textbook of Dermatology, 2010 (pp. 1-100.).
4. Shrihari, T. G. Vitamin D role in prevention of cancer: Overview. Indian Journal of Medical and Paediatric Oncology, 2018, 39.01: 75-78.
5. Manson, JoAnn E.; BASSUK, Shari S. Commentary. Eliminating vitamin D deficiency during the COVID-19 pandemic: A call to action. Metabolism-Clinical and Experimental, 2020, 112.
6. Hribar, Maša, et al. Vitamin D intake in Slovenian adolescents, adults, and the elderly population. Nutrients, 2021, 13.10: 3528.
7. Roth, Daniel E., et al. Global prevalence and disease burden of vitamin D deficiency: a roadmap for action in low‐and middle‐income countries. 2018.
8. Najm, Mustafa Suhail, et al. "Serum Vitamin D3 Level in Association with Chronic Telogen Effluvium in Adult Females" .Journal of Medical and Surgical Practice (JMSP). (.(2021 7.01.
9. Nuttall FQ. Body mass index. Nutr Today, (2015). 50(3): 117-28.
10. Wei, Jia; ZHU, Anna; JI, John S. A comparison study of vitamin D deficiency among older adults in China and the United States. Scientific reports, 2019, 9.1: 1-11.
11. Ziaee, Amir, et al. Nutritional status assessment of minodar residence in Qazvin City, Iran: Vitamin D deficiency in sunshine country, a public health issue. Global journal of health science, 2013, 5.1: 174.
12. VAN SCHOOR, Natasja; LIPS, Paul. Worldwide vitamin D status. Vitamin D, 2018, 15-40.
13. Mithal, Ambrish, et al. Global vitamin D status and determinants of hypovitaminosis D. Osteoporosis international, 2009, 20.11: 1807-1820.
14. Spiro,A.; BUTTRISS, JL25635171. Vitamin D: an overview of vitamin D status and intake in E urope. Nutrition bulletin, 2014, 39.4: 322-350.
15. Herrick, Kirsten A., et al. Vitamin D status in the United States, 2011–2014. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 2019, 110.1: 150-157.
16. Saini, Kriteeka; MYSORE, Venkataram. Role of vitamin D in hair loss: A short review. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, 2021, 20.11: 3407-3414.
17. Hoot, J. Nonscarring alopecia associated with vitamin D deficiency. Cutis102 (1), 2018 , 53-55.
18. Almohanna, H. M., Ahmed, A. A., Tsatalis, J. P., & Tosti, A. The role of vitamins and minerals in hair loss: a review. Dermatology and therapy, 2019, 9.1: 51-70.
19. Tamer, Funda; YUKSEL, Mehmet; KARABAG, Yavuz. Serum ferritin and vitamin D levels should be evaluated in patients with diffuse hair loss prior to treatment. Advances in Dermatology and Allergology/Postępy Dermatologii i Alergologii, 2020, 37.3: 407-411.
20. KEMERİZ, Funda; TUNCER, Sibel Çiğdem; TUĞRUL, Burcu. Evaluation of 25-HydroxyVitamin D Levels in Patients with Chronic Telogen Effluvium: A Retrospective Analysis of 291 Cases. Turkiye Klinikleri J Dermatol, 2020, 30.3: 69-73.
21. Naser, Rana Talib, Qayssar Joudah Fadheel, and Ali Hatem Hafedh. The Significance of Serum Ferritin and vitamin D Levels in Females Patients with Chronic Telogen Effluvium. Indian Journal of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology, 2021, 15.3: 3993.
22. Mohammed, Salma S., et al. Role of ferritin, vitamin D, and thyroid dysfunction in telogen effluvium among the hospital population in Western Saudi Arabia: a case–control study. Al-Azhar Assiut Medical Journal, 2021, 19.3: 452.
23. Nayak, Kashinath, et al. Serum vitamin D3 levels and diffuse hair fall among the student population in South India: a case–control study. International journal of trichology, 2016, 8.4: 160.
24. Alizadeh, Narges, et al. Chronic telogen effluvium in women: role of micronutrients, a case–control study in north of Iran. Journal of the Egyptian Women’s Dermatologic Society, 2021, 18.3: 205..
25. Karadağ, Ayşe Serap, et al. The role of anemia and vitamin D levels in acute and chronic telogen effluvium. Turkish journal of medical sciences, 2011, 41.5: 827-833.
26. Issa, Ahmed M.; Ibraheem, Sana A. Alterations of vitamin" D" level in sera of Iraqi population. JKU. 2007; 5 (1): 58, 2007, 64.
27. Ahmed, W. A., G. A. Rees, and A. de Looy. Seasonal variation in vitamin D status in overweight and obese people of Iraqi and Caucasian descent. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 2012, 71.OCE2.
28. Khazaei, Zaher, et al. Vitamin D deficiency in healthy people and its relationship with gender and age. Journal of Parathyroid Disease, 2017, 6.1: 16-18.
29. Vieth, Reinhold, Yasmin Ladak, and Paul G. Walfish. "Age-related changes in the 25-hydroxyvitamin D versus parathyroid hormone relationship suggest a different reason why older adults require more vitamin D." The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 88.1 (2003): 185-191..
30. Jawad, Ismael Hasan; Baiee, Hasan ALwan; Ismail, Issam Salim. Prevalence and Correlates of Vitamin D Inadequacy in a Sample of Iraqi People. Indian Journal of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology, 2020, 14.4: 2779.
31. Gaafar, M ; Badr, S. An alarming high prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among healthy adults. Life Sci J, 2013, 10.1: 3292-8.