STATUS OF SERUM MAGNESIUM IN CHILDREN WITH TYPE 1 DIABETES MELLITUS: RELATION TO GLYCEMIC CONTROL
Background: Magnesium has an important role in the metabolism of carbohydrate so that it may affect the release and activation of insulin which is the hormone that controls levels of blood glucose. Different studies all over the world have found a low serum Magnesium in diabetic children with poor glycemic control reflected mainly by glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) level. Our aim was to evaluate the serum magnesium status in children with type 1 diabetes and to assess its relation to glycemic control.
Methods: A case control study included 50 diabetic patients whose ages were between 1 and 18 years and 50 controls who were age- and sex-matched chosen from the siblings of the patients who visited the center during the study period. Serum Magnesium was assayed and acut off point equal to and above 1.7 mg/dl considered as normal level. The glycemic control of patients was classified according toHbA1c % as good <7.5%, poor 7.5-8.5% and very poor >8.5%.Data were statistically analyzed using SPSS 22.A P value of <0.05 was considered significant.
Results: of the total patients 32% had Hypomagnesemia compared to 10% of controls. Serum magnesium level was significantly lower in diabetic children as compared to controls (p<0.007). The diabetic patients in the first quartile had the lower value of serum magnesium. The remaining values, including duration of diabetes and HbA1 were comparably non-significant. A significant inverse correlation was found between serum magnesium and glycated hemoglobin level(r=-0.302, p =0.033).
Conclusion: Serum magnesium level is frequently low in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus. There is a significant correlation between serum magnesium level and the glycemic control. Therefore we recommend doing regular monitoring of serum magnesium in type 1diabetic children and appropriate supplement of low levels.
2. Kaplinsky C, Alon US. Magnesium homeostasis and hypomagnesemia in children with malignancy. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2013; 60: 734–40. [PubMed]
3. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Bishop ML, Fody EP, Schoef FL. Clinical Chemistry, Principles, Procedures and Correlations. 2005; 268–269; 327–330.
4. Pham PC, Pham PM, Pham SV, Miller JM, Pham PT. Hypomagnesemia in patients with type 2 diabetes. Clin J Am SocNephrol.2007; 2: 366-373.
5. Sakaguchi Y, Shoji T, Hayashi T, Suzuki A, Shimizu M, et al. Hypomagnesemia in type 2 diabetic nephropathy: a novel predictor of endstage renal disease. Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: 1591-97.
6. Barbagallo M, Dominguez LJ. Magnesium metabolism in type 2 diabetes mellitus, metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance. Arch BiochemBiophys.2007; 458: 40-47.
7. Lin CC, Tsweng GJ, Lee CF, Chen BH, Huang YL. Magnesium, zinc, chromium levels in children, adolescents, young adults with type 1 diabetes. ClinNutr 2016; 35:880–84. [PubMed]
8. Salmonowicz B, Krzystek-Korpacka M, Noczyńska A. Trace elements, magnesium, and the efficacy of antioxidant systems in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus and in their siblings. AdvClinExp Med. 2014; 23:259–68. [PubMed]
9. Bjelakovic G, Sokolovic D, Ljiljana S. Arginase activity and magnesium levels in the blood of children with diabetes mellitus. J Basic ClinPhysiolPharmacol. 2009; 20:319– 34. [PubMed]
10. Galli-Tsinopoulou A, Maggana I,Kyrgios I, Mouzaki K, Grammatikopoulou MG, Stylianou Cet al. Association between magnesium concentration and HbA1c in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus. J Diabetes. 2014; 6:369–77. [PubMed]
11. Shahbah D, Abo El Naga A, Hassan T, Zakaria M, Beshir M, Al Morshedy S et al.Status of serum magnesium in Egyptian children with type 1 diabetes and its correlation to glycemic control and lipid profile. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016; 95(47): e5166
12. Asmaa MN, Samira SZ, Aliaa MM, Bassem HG .The Relationship between Hypomagnesaemia and Glycemic Control in Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. J Diabetes Metab. 2016; 7: 693.
13. Ahmed MM, Helal SR. A Study of Serum Magnesium, Zinc, Copper and GlycohemoglobinIn Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Alexandria Journal of Pediatrics. 2002; 16(2): 285-9.
14. Xu J, Xu W, Yao H, Sun W, Zhou Q, Cai L. Associations of Serum and Urinary Magnesium with the PreDiabetes, Diabetes and Diabetic Complications in the Chinese Northeast Population. 2013;8(2): 56750.
15. Seyoum B, Siraj ES, Saenz C, Abdulkadir J. Hypomagnesemia in Ethiopians with diabetes mellitus. Ethn Dis. 2008;18:147–51. [PubMed]
16. Farid SM, Abulfaraj TG Trace mineral status related to levels of glycatedhaemoglobin of diabetic subjects in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Medical Journal of Islamic World Academy of Sciences. 2013; 21: 4756.
17. Matthiesen G, Olofsson K, Rudnicki M. Ionized magnesium in Danish children with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 1216–7. [PubMed]
18. Zargar AH, Bashir MI, Masoodi SR, , Laway BA, , Wani AI, Khan AR et al. Copper, zinc and magnesium levels in type-1 diabetes mellitus. Saudi Med J. 2002;23(5): 539-542.
19. Derakhshan RMore Derakhshan R, Balaee P, Darakhshan S, Masoodpoor N, Banihosseini SS Lipid profile, thyroid function, and serum magnesium level in type I diabetic children Minerva Pediatrica. 2011; 63(1):27-33.
20. Uğurlu V, Binay C, ŞimşekE, BalC.Cellular Trace Element Changes in Type 1 Diabetes Patients. J Clin Res PediatrEndocrinol. 2016; 8(2):180–6.
21. Alghobashy AA, Alkholy UM, Talat MA, Abdalmonem N, Zaki A, Ahmed IA et al. Trace elements and oxidative
stress in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.Diabetes MetabSyndrObes. 2018;11:85–92.
22. ArpaciD, TocogluAG, ErgencH, KorkmazS,TamerA. Associations of serum Magnesium levels with diabetes mellitus and diabetic complications. Hippokratia. 2015;19(2):153–7.
23. Kundu D, Osta M, Mandal T, Bandyopadhyay U, Ray D, Gautam D.
Serum magnesium levels in patients with diabetic retinopathy. J Nat SciBiol Med. 2013;4: 113-6.
24. Mishra S, Padmanaban P, Deepti GN, Sarkar G, Sumathi S, Toora BD.. Serum magnesium, dyslipidemia in type-2 diabetes mellitus. Biomed Res. 2012;23:295–300.