REVIEW OF OUTCOME OF CLOSED VERSUS OPEN LATERAL INTERNAL PARTIAL SPHINCTEROTOMY IN THE TREATMENT OF CHRONIC ANAL FISSURE
Background: Fissure in ano is a very common anal disorder which predominantly presents with sharp rectal pain and bleeding associated with bowel movements. Partial lateral internal anal sphincterotomy is considered the preferred surgical treatment for chronic anal fissure; this may be performed using open or closed method, each with its complications. This study compared the results and complications of closed versus open techniques of partial lateral internal anal sphincterotomy in patients with chronic anal fissure.
Materials and Methods: A total of 119 patients with chronic anal fissure were included in this study. Of these 51 patients underwent closed partial lateral internal sphincterotomy and 68 patients underwent open partial lateral internal sphincterotomy. All these patients were followed up for 6 months post – surgery. The results and complications of both techniques were compared included pain, bleeding, infection, incontinence and recurrence rate.
Results: Pain, bleeding, infection and incontinence were less in the closed technique and in our study no patient by either technique became incontinent for faces, only few cases (Table 4) developed transient incontinence for flatus.
Conclusion: Closed partial lateral internal sphincterotomy technique is superior on open one in the surgical treatment of chronic anal fissures.
2. Ajit Naniksing Kukreja. Anorectal surgery made easy Jaypee brothers medical publishers (p) ltd. 2013 (p289-290).
3. Lunniss pj, the anus and anal canal in: Williams ns, Bulstrode Cjk, O'connell PR, eds. Baily and love's short practice of surgery, 25th ed. London: Arnold; 2008 : 1251-1253.
4. Abramowitz L, Benabderrahmane D, Baron, G walker F, Yeni P, Duval x. Systematic evaluation and description of anal pathology in HIV-infected patients during the HAART era. Dis colon rectum 2009; 52: 1130-1136.
5. Nelson RL, meta-analysis of operative techniques for fissure in ano. Dis colon rectum. 1999 ; 42 :1424-1428 ;.
6. Arroyo A, Perez- Vecente F, Serrano candela F, Sanchez A,Perez –Vazquez MT, Calpen R. Treatment of chronic anal fissure. Cir Esp. 2005 ; 78:68 -74.
7. Garrido R, Lagos N, Lattes K, Mario Abedrapo, Gunther Bocic, Aldo Cuneo et al gronyautoxin: new treatment for healing acute and chronic anal fissure. Discolon rectum 2005; 48: 335-343.
8. Jensen SL, Lund F, Nielsen OV, Tange g. Lateral subcutaneous sphincterotomy versus anal diltation in the treatment of fissure in ano in outpatients: BMJ. 1984; 289: 528-530.
9. Abcarian H. Surgical correction of chronic anal fissure: results of lateral internal sphincterotomy vs fissuretomy midline sphincterotomy. Dis Colon Rectum 1980; 23: 31-36.
10. Singh M. Sharma A, Grandier A, Duthie GS. Early results of a rotational flap to treat chronic anal fissures. Int J colorectal Dis. 2005; 20: 339-342.
11. Giordano P, G Ravante G, Grondona P, Ruggiero B, Porrett T, Lunniss PJ. Simple cutaneous advancement flap anoplasty for resistant chronic anal fissure. world J surgery 2009; 33; 1058-1063.
12. Pelta AE, Davis KG, Armistrong DN. Subcutaneous fissuretomy: A novel procedure for chronic fissure in ano. Dis colon rectum 2007; 50: 1662-1667.
13. Soll C, Dindo D, Hahnlaser D. Combined fissuretomy and botulinum toxin injection: A new therapeutic approach for chronic anal fissure. Gastroenterol Clin boil. 2009 32: 667-670.
14. Cupta PJ. Closed anal sphincter manipulation technique for chronic anal fissure.Ren gastroenterol mex. 2008; 73: 29-32.
15. Liratzonoulos N, Efremidou EL, Panageorsiou MS, George Kouklakis, John Moschos, Konstantinos J Manolas et al. Lateral subcutaneous internal sphincterotomy in the treatment of chronic anal fissure: J Gastrointest liver Dis. 2006; 15: 143-147.
16. Gibbons C, Read NW. Anal hypertonia in fissure: Cause or effect. Brj surg. 1986; 73: 443-5.
17. Nelson RL. Meta–analysis of operative techniques for fissure in ano. Dis colon rectum. 1999; 42: 1424-8.
18. Thomas H. Lewis, Marvin Corman, Elliot D. Prager, long term results of open and closed sphincterotomy for anal fissure, Diseases of the Colon and Rectum. volume 31, no.5, pp 368-371, may 1988.
19. A. Arroy, F. Perez, P. Serrono, F. Candela, R. Calpena open versus closed lat. Int. sphincterotomy. Journal of the American college of surgeons. volume 199, issue 3, page 361-367.
20. Wiley, M. Day, P. Rieger, Nicholas Anthony Stephence, J. Moore, J. open vs closed lateral int. sphincterotomy for fissure in ano, Diseases of the colon rectum. 2004; 47(6): 847-852.