DIAGNOSTIC YIELD OF COLONOSCOPY IN LOWER GASTROINTESTINAL BLEEDING IN MOSUL
Background: Lower gastrointestinal bleeding is a common morbid condition that entails anxiety for the patient and represents a diagnostic challenge for clinicians. This study aimed to disclose varied causes of colorectal bleeding by colonoscopic examination in Mosul city, north of Iraq.
Methods: This is a cross-sectional retrospective study of (257) patients including174 males and 83 females, presented with lower gastrointestinal bleeding. All patients were subjected to colonoscopy examination in Al-Salam General Hospital in Mosul during a period of two years, from January 2018 to January 2020. Records of included patients were reviewed. Demographic, clinical, and endoscopic findings were collected and analyzed.
Results: Mean age of the patients was 45.4 ±17.7 years, age range 6-90 years. Main causes of lower gastrointestinal bleeding were hemorrhoids, inflammatory bowel disease, colon cancer, and polyps with frequency rates of 28.4%, 26.5%, 13.2%, and 10.9% respectively. Diverticula and vascular malformations comprised 1.9% and 0.4% respectively. Colonoscopy identified colorectal lesions in 92.2% of involved patients.
Conclusions: Majority of lesions causing lower gastrointestinal bleeding can be diagnosed by colonoscopic examination. In Mosul, hemorrhoids, inflammatory bowel disease, and neoplasms were the dominant causes, whereas diverticula and vascular malformations were rare.
1. Zuccaro G. Management of the adult patient with acute lower gastrointestinal bleeding. American College of Gastroenterology. Practice Parameters Committee. Am J Gastroenterol1998; 93(8):1202-8.
2. Gralnek IM, Neeman Z, Strate LL. Acute lower gastrointestinal bleeding. NEJM 2017; 376:1054–1063.
3. Pasha SF, Shergill A, Acosta RD, Chandrase-khara V, Chathadi KV, Early D, et al. The role of endoscopy in the patient with lower GI bleeding. Gastrointest Endosc 2014; 79:875–85.
4. Farrell JJ, Friedman LS. Review article: the management of lower gastrointestinal bleeding. Aliment Pharmacology Ther 2005; 21(11):1281–1298.
5. Zuckerman GR, Prakash C. Acute lower intestinal bleeding: part I: clinical presentation and diagnosis. Gastrointest Endosc 1998; 48:606-17.
6. Barnett J, Messmann H. Diagnosis and management of lower gastrointestinal bleeding (review). Nat.Rev.Gastroenterol.Hepatol 2009; 6:637-646.
7. Chait MM. Lower gastrointestinal bleeding in the elderly. World J Gastrointest Endosc 2010; 2(5):147–154.
8. Bounds BC, Friedman LS. Lower gastrointestinal bleeding. Gastroenterology Clin North Am.2003; 32:1107–1125.
9. Richter JM, Christensen MR, Kaplan LM, Nashik NS. Effectiveness of current technology in the diagnosis and management of lower gastrointestinal hemorrhage. Gastrointest Endosc. 1995; 41:93–98.
10. Imdahl A. Genesis and pathophysiology of lower gastrointestinal bleeding. Langenbecks Arch Surg 2001; 386:1–7.
11. Lai EJ, Calderwood AH, Doros G, Fix OK, Jacobson BC. The Boston Bowel Preparation Scale: A valid and reliable instrument for colonoscopy-oriented research. Gastrointest Endosc. 2009;69(3 Pt 2):620–625.
12. Oluyemi A, Odeghe E, Adeniyi O. Colonoscopy Findings in Lower Gastrointestinal Bleeding in Lagos: A Comparative Study Based on Age. Nigerian Journal of Clinical Practice 2020; 23(12):1656-59.
13. Paul J. Colonoscopic Finding of Patients with Lower Gastrointestinal Bleeding at Different Age Group in Eastern Part of India – An Observational Study. Prague Medical Report 2020; 121 (1): 25–34.
14. Gralnek IM, Fisher ORT, Holub JL, Eisen GM. The role of colonoscopy in evaluating hematochezia: a population-based study in a large consortium of endoscopy practices. Gastrointestinal Endosc 2013; 77:410-8.
15. Sorrento D. The Coming of Age of Inflammatory Bowel Diseases in Asia. Inflamm Intest Dis 2017; 2:93–94.
16. Gonçalves TC, Castro FD, Machado JF, Moreira MJ, Rosa B, Cotter J. Impact of the age of diagnosis on the natural history of ulcerative colitis. Rev. esp. enferm. Dig.2015;107(10): 614-621.
17. Greuter T, Manser C, Pittet V, Vavricka SR, Biedermann L. Gender Differences in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Digestion 2020; 101(suppl 1):98–104.
18. Cosnes J, Rousseau CG, Seksik P, Cortot A. Epidemiology and natural history of inflammatory bowel diseases. Gastroenterology 2011;140:1785–94.
19. Siew C Ng. Epidemiology of inflammatory bowel disease: focus on Asia. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 2014; 28(3):363-72.
20. Satang J, Silverberg MS, Vermeire S, Colombel JF. The Montreal classification of inflammatory bowel disease: controversies, consensus, and implications. Gut 2006; 55:749–753.
21. Magro F, Rodrigues A, Vieira AI, et al. Review of the disease course among adult ulcerative colitis population-based longitudinal cohorts. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2012; 18:573–83.
22. Pretzel F, Uhlig HH. Frequency of indeterminate colitis in children and adults with IBD -a meta-analysis. J Crohns Colitis 2009; 3:277–81.
23. Henson JP, Jonasson JG, Bjornsson ES. Bleeding-related symptoms in colorectal cancer: a 4-year nationwide population-based study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2014; 39:77–84.
24. Haleshappa RA, Rao SA, Garg S, Kuntegowdanahalli CL, Kanakasetty GB, Dasappa L. Is Colorectal Cancer in Young (<40 Years) Different from those in the Elderly (>40 Years): Experience from a Regional Care Center. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol. 2017; 38(4):466–470.
25. Abancens M, Bustos V, Harvey H, McBryan J, Harvey BJ. Sexual Dimorphism in Colon Cancer. Frontiers in Oncology 2020; 10:1-27.
26. Bas B, Dinc B, Oymaci E, Mayir B, Gunduz UR. What are the Endoscopic and Pathological Characteristics of Colorectal Polyps?. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev2015; 16(13):5163-7.
27. Bhadauria N, Dubey SRK, Mittal P, Arya AK, Singh RP. Clinico-etiological pattern of lower gastrointestinal bleeding in children (5-18years age group) at a tertiary care center in central India. Indian J Child Health 2016; 3(4):290-292.
28. Rhee JC, Lee KT. The causes and management of lower GI bleeding: a study based on clinical observations at Hanyang University Hospital. Gastroenterol Jpn 1991; 26 Suppl 3:101-106.
29. Bai Y, Peng J, Gao J, Zou DW, Li ZS. Epidemiology of lower