TUBULARIZED INCISED PLATE (SNODGRASS) URETHROPLASTY FOR HYPOSPADIAS IN CIRCUMCISED AND UNCIRCUMCISED PATIENTS: A COMPARATIVE STUDY
Background: The tubularized incised plate urethroplasty has well been depicted for the hypospadias management, however, few studies have measured its complication on hypospadias. The current study aimed to compare the tubularized incised plate urethroplasty procedure in circumcised and uncircumcised patients on different locations of distal hypospadias.
Subject and Methods: Between 9-July-2012 and 9-March-2014, 81 male patients aged 6 to 108 months (mean age 42.10 ± 25.72), including33 circumcised and 48 uncircumcised boys with distal hypospadias were recruited into the study and underwent tubularized incised plate for the first time. The complications included fistula, meatal stenosis, surgery failure or success, penile skin necrosis, and final outcome were obtained after six month follow-up of the patients.
Results: The study revealed that mean surgery duration was60.00±8.18 minutes. The study did not show that surgery in different locations (p=0.872), overall outcome (p=0.153) and specific outcomes including fistula (p=0.261), meatal stenosis (p=0.337), and penile skin necrosis (p=0.299), and successful rate of operation (p=1.000) have a significant difference in circumcised and uncircumcised patients.
Conclusion: The procedure is an effective, safe, and proper clinical technique to treat hypospadias in circumcised and uncircumcised patents. The study showed that the technique can be done in both group of patients successfully.
2. Wein AJ, Kavoussi LR, Novick AC, Partin AW, Peters CA. Campbell-Walsh UROLOGY. China: SAUNDERS ELSEVIER 2007.
3. Manzoni G, Bracka A, Palminteri E, Marrocco G. Hypospadias surgery: when, what and by whom? BJU international. 2004;94:1188–95.
4. Milicevic R, Bojanovic M, Karadzic D, Kostic A, Bubanj T, Djeric D. Our experience with tubularized incised plate urethroplasty for distal and mid-penile hypospadias Acta Medica Medianae. 2003;42(4):35-8.
5. Khan M, Majeed A, Hayat W, Ullah H, Naz S, Shah SA, Tahmeed T, Yousaf K, Tahir M. Hypospadias Repair: A Single Centre Experience. Plastic Surgery International. 2013;2014:1-7.
6. Kazemi Rashed F, Gholizade R. Comparison of distal hypospadias repair in circumcised patients and uncircumcised patients. ISRN urology. 2013;2013.
7. Snodgrass W, Villanueva C, Bush NC. Duration of follow-up to diagnose hypospadias urethroplasty complications. Journal of Pediatric Urology. 2013:1-4.
8. Mousavi SA. Use of Tubularized Incised Plate Urethroplasty for Secondary Hypospadias Repair or Repair in Circumcised Patients. International Braz J Urol. 2008;34(5):609-16.
9. Snodgrass WT, Bush N, Cost N. Tubularized incised plate hypospadias repair for distal hypospadias. Journal of Pediatric Urology Company. 2010;6:408-13.